I was fortunate enough to have my good friend from Nashville accompany me on my interview trip. Kristy is the 2nd girl to the right of me in the adjacent pic. She is currently a flight attendant for Southwest and met me to give the "inside scoop". We met 5 years ago in Nashville at St. Thomas Wellness Center, where I worked. We became great buds and have had some fun and let's say, interesting times together. This last Chicago trip need not be left out of the "interesting" category.Ok, so I might be hyping this story up a little more than need be, but I think it is hilarious. This was my first time in Chicago and I wasn't familiar with anything. I must admit, I usually have a good sense of direction and can find my way around unfamiliar territory...like I said...usually.
Kristy and I just had a fun filled day in the city...a lot of walking, eating, shopping and sight-seeing. And, yes, we did get to go the top of what now is the tallest building in America...the Sear's tower. Amazing. For instance...did you know that there is enough telephone wire in the building to circle the earth 1 and 3/4 times! I wish I had stock in the company that manufactured that wire! All that to say, we were wiped out.
We were a mere 15 minute train ride from the airport and then our hotel was only 2 blocks from there. We should be there in no time...right. I've traveled on trains and subways before, but only a few times (yeah, few, as in 3 times at the most). We caught the red line so we could travel to the orange line which would take up directly to the airport. As we sat on the orange line (or what we thought was the orange line), we were chatting it up because we hadn't seen each other in a looooooooong time. Mind you, it was dark and 10pm. Our company on the train looked a little different than who we traveled with that morning. In the midst of our conversation, I glance up above the door of the train to see when the midway airport stop was. I didn't see it on there. Actually, the map I was looking at had a green line...not an orange one. Oh my goodness, they installed the wrong map on the orange train! Ok, I'm not that dumb. I knew then we were going somewhere we probably didn't want to be. I said outloud, "Kristy, I think we're on the green train, not the orange". Some random guy blurts out, "you %$&@ right you ain't on the orange train...girlfriends...you better get off at the next stop". We got off at the next stop...Harlem! Like Harlem Globetrotters??? Yeah, that's what I said! So we wait at the train stop in all our white glory for the next train to take us back. Yep, felt a little out of place, but that's ok...I really wish I had more opportunities to feel like that...seriously.
10 min later and the next train comes and we get off at the correct stop...the stop we need to board the orange train. We board the train. After a lot of stops, I look up and see we are on the GREEN train once again! Being a person that likes to always do things the right way, I couldn't believe I screwed up the same thing TWICE! Unbelieveable! After the discovery, we quickly exit the train...yep...you got it...at the harlem stop once again!
All that to say we finally got back on a train to take us to the orange line. Yes, we actually got on the orange line and finally got back to the airport. Then, the red trolly that was supposed to wisk us away and plant us safely at our hotel didn't take the 15 minutes it was supposed to...no, it took 40.
A 25 minute trip turned into 2 hours because of exhaustion, dehydration, and nervousness for my upcoming interview. Ok, not really. I'd like to blame it on that, but let's get to the truth. I didn't know what I was doing!!!
Yeah, that was a really long story to type and my attention span doesn't usually allow for that...the same attention span that doesn't take the time to check if I'm on the right train!

1 comment:
Just edit the post, but this time "save as draft" and it'll disappear.
Post a Comment