20 July 2005

i'm gonna be a flygirl

I was on my way to play raquetball with 20 minutes to spare. Meijer is right next to the courts, so I thought I'd drop in to purchase some much needed items. In the midst of asking some employees where certain things might be, I get a call on my cell phone. It was a restricted number. Unlike many other people I've encountered, I at least try to be curteous about using my cell phone in public. If I'm talking with someone else, I don't take the call. I find that rude. My favorite is when I get people in line at starbucks that try to order while talking on their phone. And they wonder why their drink is screwed up. Of course...it's MY fault for them talking on the phone and I couldn't decipher whether they were giving me their order or talking about a dream they had with their friend on the phone....anyways...

My phone rang for a second time with RESTRICTED showing on my caller id. I was still talking with the employees, so I thought I'd let voicemail pick it up. Well, no voicemail, but the restricted number gave me one last try....but I was still with the employees. This time, a voicemail was left. This voicemail would change my life from this point on.

I was walking down an isle to see which storage container I wanted while listening to my voicemail. It was Janet...from Southwest!!! She asked me to return her call. Well, all I have to say is that I was so elated, I forgot what I was looking for...or just didn't care...and started walking out to my car. I dialed the number from memory hoping I got it right. The first time, I didn't. So I had to listen to my voicemail again (i had no pen with me) and got the number right. "please no voicemail, please no voicemail, janet be there"...that was the phrase going through my head. Janet answers the phone. I told her who I was and she told me the grand news that I was one of the few selected to attend flight attendent school! Then, I heard a lady in the background say, "is that starbucks girl? tell her hi!". That was Amanda...one of the girls who interviewed me. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

To answer all your questions:

  • I have to get a drug test tomorrow in columbus and call southwest back to confirm went and completed the test.
  • I am then in a pool of people who are waiting to get called to attend the 1 month school.
  • It could be up to 5 months to get that call and I might not even be training until the beginning of next year.
  • Once I get the call, I will put in my two week notice at starbucks...no, I won't be quitting for good, but I will be quitting the manager position. I will keep on staff for 1-2 days a month to keep my benefits.
  • The training class is in Texas. It is an intense 1 month course with a lot of memorization to do. I will have one weekend off, but probably won't be able to make it home.
  • Once I finish school, my good friend, Kristy, who works for SW now, will pin my wings on me and I'm off to work!
  • Yes, I get to fly free anywhere SW flies and get major discounts on other carriers.
  • NO, I do not have the ability to give discounts to my friends...or my enemies.
  • If I were married, my spouse would get my same flying benefits (ok, boys, I know this might make me more marketable...but please...well, I guess if you want to give it a go, I'm ok with dinner and ice cream from ritter's for bribes...but, you have to really impress me to have the opportunity to bribe me again...of which the chances of that happening are not very high...because if you are asking me out because of my travel discounts, then you deserve to be cheated out of a dinner)
  • Since I'm not married, I get to choose someone to be my flight buddy...of which the position is already filled, so no inquiries please.
  • I do get free tickets to give to friends, but only a couple a year. What I'm saying is I get very few tickets to hand out...if you are the type to ask for one, you will definately not be getting one.

All I have to say...God is good. Ok, that's not all I have to say, because I'm about to elaborate on that.

When I moved back from nashville almost 3 years ago, I got a job at sbux just so I would have something to do while I looked for a job I really wanted. Well, I'm still at sbux, and not by choice. If I had my choice, I would have been out of that company years back. But, that wasn't the plan God had planned for me. Looking back, I would say sbux really aided me in my maturing process. I've overcome many obstacles while working there. Selfishness, pride, and fear are to name a few. But one of the biggest ones is my dependency on God. If I'm not careful, I can get into a self-sufficient mode where I don't think I need anyone to help me. It's been my history that I usually get what I want. I'm not trying to be boastful, but that's just how it's been. For example, usually I would walk into a place of employment inquiring about a job and they would hire me on the spot. I just spent the last 3 years being denied by many companies, which forced me to put my dependency on God, rather than myself. I see this job as a gift from above. Before I would have said, I deserve this. Now, I see that I truely don't and am so not worthy. I am in awe. The Lord provides. Just when you think there is no way out, He can suprise you with something beyond your wildest dreams. It's true...and it just happened to me!!!! Thank you, Jesus!!!!

6 comments:

ZaijiaN said...

See, when you vote for Pedro, your wildest dreams come true!

ZaijiaN said...

Or was it Padre?

Aaron said...

I don't know about Ritters.. but I could use some Joe's when I get back into town next friday :-) What do ya say? :-P

Kristi said...

Congrats KT! It's been a long time coming, eh? Patience, patience...I know that well in my wait for a new job ;o)

Need another Beau/Aspen date....

Robertoe said...

Yes sign me up for tickets to fly to Gatlinburg, TN. Behave yourself and maybe I'll take you with me. I've never heard of Ritters, but they do have great funnel cakes down there. Have you ever had one of my special cool whip smoothies? After that I'll be flying anywhere I want! Oh,...I will need you to get a tattoo. Hope southwest doesn't mind...

ZaijiaN said...

Hey Abs, i'll go to Ritters with ya!