21 September 2005

things a drug addiction will make you do

One of those things is break in people's houses for any money they can scrounge up for their next hit or high. Yeah, and mine was one of them last saturday. Saturday morning at 9:30AM, none the less.

I went to work at 4:45AM and Carla left the house at 6:45AM leaving Emily all alone at the Pershing Palace. Apparently, the robbers must have been needing a fix right quick because they really didn't look closely enough to see if Emily was home.

At 9:30 AM, they levered open my back office window with my firewood. I had the windows cracked with the pegs pulled out so people can't open it from the outside. I guess with great force, you can open them. They crawled through my window shutting it behind them. Upon entry was my laptop laying on the floor for them to take...but they didn't (blessing #1). They rummaged through my bedroom just like you see on tv. All my drawers were pulled out with all my clothes piled up on the floor. They took a tin box that held my change...which had about $40 worth...and that was about it...leaving my nice digital camera alone that was sitting next to the change box (blessing #2). My grandma's jewelery chest was torn apart too, but my expensive necklace, then only somewhat valuable piece of jewelery I own, was left untouched (blessing #3).

Then, on to Carla's room, which is across from Emily's room...with Emily still in it. They rummaged through her room until they found her piggy bank, emptying it's $10 in contents into their bag or pockets. Emily's room was next. All the while Emily was thinking I was having people over to fix the internet that has been down since the storm last week. The thought didn't enter her mind that we were being robbed until this...

Emily was 2 feet away from her locked door when someone vigoriously jiggled the handle back and forth trying to enter. She then realized that my mom would usually call out her name or I would have warned her that we were having workers over. She was stopped dead in her tracks. Then, suddenly, the robber thrust his whole body into the door trying to bust it down. Not knowing what exactly to do at this point, Emily lets out a loud cry saying, "HELLO!". I swear this made the robbers pee their pants because they bolted down the stairs and out the front door (blessing #4). Em immediately called 911 and then me...and I answered (blessing #5).

You might not understand fully why me answering the phone was a blessing, so let me explain. I was working and my lunch break usually falls between 10:30AM and 11AM. For some reason (now I know from up above) I decided to take my lunch at the exact time, 9:30, as Emily needed to talk to me. God is good.

Through this whole experience, I realize it could have been much much worse. They only took the little cash we had. All expensive electronics and jewelery were left in their place. Oh yeah, my purse, ipod and checkbook was left on the dining room table untouched (blessing #6). Emily was not hurt which was the best blessing of all.

Now I will be a little less naive when leaving my house to go out and while I am at home. Many of times I have slept with my window wide open because I like the cool breeze. I won't be doing that anymore. Perhaps from this robbery, God is making us prepared so something worse won't happen in the future.

I'll tell you one thing, my mind goes over what happened again and again and some of the scenarios I come up are quite hilarious. They involve me and Emily kicking the snot out of the intruders! Let's just say some of the scenarios would make great movies!

2 comments:

ZaijiaN said...

At the very least, you should get a guard monkey trained in the ways of ninjitsu.

Joel said...

She needs the house version of the "Trunk Monkey"