I just returned to my crashpad to recover from the last 4 day trip. When I say 'recover' I mean I can actually get some sleep. Two nights ago my room was stratigically located above a bar so at 1am, the party moved into the parking lot. An elephant must have stayed in the room above me last night. Alas, tonight, I shall sleep...if all goes as planned.
God blessed me by giving me a christian crew. Aaron and Cheryl were some of the coolest, and humblest people I've met here at southwest. Their faith shined through their pores as the trip progressed. We had great conversations ranging from bowel movements (yeah, go figure), to racism, to tattoos. The tattoo subject intrigues me, so let's discuss.
Tatoos. From a christian perspective, can they be used to glorify God? Or, are they in turn desicrating your body? Lev 19:28 states, "Do not...put tatoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord". This verse is commonly used by christians to teach people not to tattoo themselves. It's kind of like when you ask your parents a question of "why?" and their response is "because". The Lord told us not to tattoo ourselves so we shouldn't do it. Why? Because. It is also argued that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and by tattooing it would be ruining the temple (Mind you, I am simply arguing both sides of the case, not taking sides).
On the contrary, this verse was given to me by someone who belives Christ will have a tattoo when he comes back to earth. Rev 19:16 states, "On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS". Hmmm, it does say it is written on both his robe AND thigh. Could the thigh already be covered in clothing and the writing is actually on the clothes which are against his thigh? What does the term "written" actually mean?
I will admit that defending things out of the bible and looking up greek, chinese, pig latin and any other language is not my cup of tea...so this is why I let you folks do it. So what are your thoughts?
02 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I could care less about the tatoo issue, I'm just bummed you had a poop conversation without me...don't let it happen again! :)
What it comes down to for me is practicality. We are all going to get fat and saggy at some point in our lives. Tattoos would at that point stretch. A once hot chick tattooed on my arm would then look more like Rosie O' Donnell on a bad day, but more discolored.
Would God judge us for having ink on our bodies? Would He judge us for being gluttons? Would He judge us for being apathetic to the needs of others?
Joel is a hypocrite.
I've seen that tattoo he has above his heart of his delay pedal.
Post a Comment