24 July 2005

bombs away

I am now coming back to the fun story that happened at work a week ago friday. I had written a post about it and that's when my computer shut down....so here it goes.

It was a 10 hour work day for me and I was eager to end work early. By the looks of things at 430, I could probably put that plan into action since we slowed way down from what we forcasted business to be. Originally I was scheduled until 630. I was packing up my stuff when one of my coworkers approached me with a concern that a briefcase was left out in the cafe. We asked the other partners if they recognized the briefcase or saw anyone carry one in. The answer was no. We then questioned customers in our cafe if they had seen anyone leave the briefcase. Another "no". The dilapidated briefcase was sitting all by it's lonesome in a chair. It could be many scenarios as to why it was there, but in light of the happenings in London that same week, I decided to have Oakwood police check it out. Yes, that means I don't get to go home yet.

An officer arrived and asked to borrow the phone. He didn't want to use his radio in order to keep this story on the DL. He told me we was awaiting word from his superior officer on what to do...and his superior officer was awaiting directions from the bomb squad. While waiting for a response from the bomb sqaud, the officer blocked off half of the cafe (the part surrounding the briefcase). Ok, this didn't make sense to me since if it were a bomb, which would be the reason he blocked off half the seating. If it were a bomb, I'm pretty sure it would be the kind that would affect the whole cafe, not just half. Anyway, the officer finally heard word from his superior and was instructed to close down Starbucks. Everybody out. This was a nice break for us working. If any of you have been to my starbucks, you know that most of the time, it is busy...ok, let's use the word chaotic. Breaks are a much welcomed rarity, that we were beside ourselves when we got to go outside, sit on the bench, relax, and GET PAID FOR IT.

20 minutes later, the superior officer arrived with a plan. He had everyone move away from the windows while they went to investigate the briefcase.

5 minutes passed and the officers emerged from the building...all appendages attached. It turns out the briefcase belonged to a student working on their master's degree and it was full of papers for their thesis. (hmmm...wonder if the thesis was, "let's leave an unattended briefcase in a coffee shop and see what happens). The student was contacted and was instructed to pick up their briefcase at the station.

By that time, it was 620, and I was ready to go. Hey, 10 min early is better than 10 min late. The store was reopened with a warning sign posted, "if you leave any item unattended, it will be confiscated". Ok, not really, but that would be funny. Looks like I got in some early training for my new job as a flight attendant ; )

2 comments:

ZaijiaN said...

"Looks like I got in some early training for my new job as a flight attendant ; )"



What, you've been cramming 250 people into your store and serving coffee in thimble-sized cups?

Unknown said...

haha so I see you have a link to my blog and I'm just now finding yours... good stuff. :-) Girl, I am so excited for you!!! Sad that you won't be around as much, but still super excited! :-)