15 August 2005

it's in the water

What the heck is going on? Everytime I turn around I hear about a new couple that just got engaged. There are already 3 that happened in the past month at church. But, the engagement on the top of my list is my good friend Alex who lives in Lexington. Alex and I have know each other since 8th grade. She was my roommate in Nashville for 3 years. For all the time that I've known her, marriage was at the bottom of her list. Even 4 months ago we had a long phone conversation that indicated she would never be married unless it were to an old rich man dying in the next year so she can inherit all his belongings.

She called me last night to see if I had 2 dates in October free. I simply replied..."are these dates for your tenative wedding date?". She says, "how did you know?". I told her it's in the water.

I am happy for my friend Alex, yet, I cannot help but be a little sad at the same time. You see, I always told myself that if Alex ever got married before I did, I'd probably be signed up for the single's class forever. In saying that, I do not want anyone to think I am desperate for a relationship. In fact, I am enjoying my life right now. However, it is my desire to be married and have children one day. I mean, I'm 29...I've got a few good eggs left (and I'm on juice plus; ). But, this is one of the times in my life when I see that what I want is not necessarily what God wants. So I made a conscience decision not to wallow in what I don't have, but give thanks for what I do have. I am not entitled to a significant other...it's merely a gift. And just because I don't have that gift yet doesn't mean I'll never be blessed with it. I must admit though, seeing all the engagements happen, especially to those that are much younger than me, makes me feel a little left behind. So God, when can I have a glass of water!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that God's got your amazing man on some flight from Dayton to Chicago....and you're going to spill coffee in his lap (completely on accident, of course) and he's going to look at you and tell you "It's OK.... hi, I'm so-and-so...."

I think that's how it's going to happen. Oh, and if I find out where the 'special water' is, I'll let you know! :-)

ZaijiaN said...

Here's an idea:

Miniature bottles of liquor.


Just throwin it out there.